Food Farmacy Dietitian in Buffalo, NY
FeedMore WNY Posted: 2021-07-07
Buffalo, NY 14206
SUMMARY OF DUTYIES:
The Food Farmacy Dietitian will manage the Food Farmacy and all related activities off-site at a partner location in the city of Buffalo. Our medical partner will perform food insecurity screenings with all patients and make referrals to the Food “Farm”acy for those who are food insecure. The FeedMore dietitian will then work with the client to help educate them on proper nutrition and to assess their ongoing health relative to desired outcomes. This role includes the management of the on-site pantry (Food Farmacy), including volunteers and other program assistants, direct client contact – including assessment, reassessment, nutritional counseling, follow-up and reporting – as well as some training.
• Manages participant contact, nutritional assessments and reassessment, nutritional counseling, nutrition education, direct client contact and coordination / referral with appropriate resources and follow-up as appropriate, while maintaining and following FeedMore protocol.
• Assists in identifying client needs, uses educational materials with individual participants (customized as needed) and evaluates participants’ ongoing compliance. Engages referred patients who have not passed the food screening with the Food Farmacy, including scheduling initial and ongoing appointments.
• Assists clients in reaching health outcomes, including food security, obesity reduction / healthy weight, and diabetes management.
• Manages custom pantry (Food Farmacy) on-site, ensures product ordering and assortment, safe food storage and handling, and pantry maintenance (with volunteers). Ensures general food safety and nutrient adequacy. Distributes food based on rules, including traditional 3-day supply, diet type and household size. Shares requests and preferences with procurement team. Completes traditional pantry paperwork.
• Manages and directs work of pantry volunteers and co-manages program assistants provided by our partners.
• Serves as the day-to-day contact with co-located partners, driving strong relationships.
• Keeps accurate records and documentation in provided tools / system(s) regarding assessments, reassessments, outreach efforts (and outcomes), program compliance, feedback (positive or negative) and more, as directed by management.
• Shares data regarding work, including weekly updates of work volume, wins, challenges, questions and concerns with FeedMore supervisor.
• Fully engages clients in coming to / returning to the Farmacy, promoting the benefits of the program in a positive and empowering manner.
• Schedules referred clients for future visits to the Food Farmacy. Also, follows up with non-attending clients via phone to assess for issues with compliance and re-engage with the Food Farmacy program.
• Completes assessment / re-assessment as appropriate relative to skill and credential. Potential measures may include: food insecurity screeners, blood pressure, BMI, A1C levels (with medical partner), food frequency questionnaires, etc. May assist with tool development and tracking process development as needed.
• Follows ADA recommendations and best practices to counsel participants, provide nutrition education, and coordinate referrals to additional community resources.
• Assists in training and evaluation to maintain FeedMore standards for nutrition and food service. Participates in special projects and works cooperatively with public and private community resources for coordination of FeedMore services and nutrition care.
• Schedules and conducts, as requested, nutrition education sessions and recipe demonstrations with referred and community participants.
• Resolves client questions or concerns, providing information and escalation to management and partners as needed.
• Abides by any HIPAA regulations or relevant provided policies from FeedMore or partners.
• Strives to manage all resources wisely for the maximum efficiency of the program.
• Maintains professional credentials via participation at workshops, conferences, seminars, etc.
• Participates in activities sponsored by FeedMore or the partners, as requested and reasonable relative to duties.
• Assist with mission-driven work such as meal delivery, mobile pantry, etc. as requested and reasonable relative to duties.
• Completes other duties as assigned.
• MUST have a flexible schedule i.e. multiple and extended shifts, multiple locations
• MUST have Bachelor’s degree in dietetics, nutrition, food service management or related science
• MUST be a Registered Dietitian as determined by The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND)
• MUST have five years community nutrition / public health experience
• Preference given to candidates with experience in both a community based setting and clinical experience and Nutrition counseling
• ServSafe certified preferred
• Ability to interact effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds, professional experiences and personality types; multi-lingual candidates are highly desired
• Computer and word processing skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• A current and valid driver’s license and access to an automobile
• Must be able to lift 35 pounds
To apply send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Human Resources Department
100 James E. Casey Dr.
Buffalo, NY 14206
Or apply on our website with the link below.
FeedMore WNY is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and is committed to respecting diversity and individual differences.